A NOTE ON SAFETY MEASURES DURING COVID-19
We know you have many questions and concerns about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how it relates to your own health and wellbeing.
Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) is actively monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak while continuing to provide support, service, and care for our clients. Our services are important and, in some cases, essential. We provide services and care to some of our most vulnerable populations, and we are committed to continuing this work so long as it is safe for our clients, employees, and volunteers.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
VON takes direction from public health, and we already have the following safety measures in place that we practice every day:
- Our employees are trained on strategies to prevent the spread of germs, including:
- Getting the flu shot
- Staying home if they are sick
- Cleaning their hands regularly
- Practicing respiratory etiquette by coughing and sneezing into their sleeve
- Wearing gloves, masks, and gowns, as needed.
- Our employees are required to self-screen for illness each day. Those who are showing signs of illness are not able to work, ensuring no contact with VON clients. They are only allowed to return to work when they are well again.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE DOING DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
- VON employees are kept up-to-date about new COVID-19 information and any actions they need to take to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Our employees are provided with current screening tools to ask clients questions about possible COVID-19 infections. Clients who are suspected of having COVID-19 are referred to public health for advice about testing and healthcare options.
- All our staff including our front-line employees who have travelled outside of Canada must report their travel to their supervisor, so VON will know if they have travelled to a COVID-19 affected country. VON follows public health direction about when it’s safe to return to work.
- With each client visit, we are following public health directions about when it is appropriate to use masks, gloves, and gowns. We are mindful of the need to use this equipment when needed and as directed by public health.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
While VON Canada employees are doing their part to prevent the spread of illness, we all have an important role in keeping our clients, their household members, VON employees, volunteers, and other clients safe.
Here are some simple things you can do to keep yourself and your VON care worker safe:
- Self-screen and screen all household members for illness. Please contact the VON office if you are sick, have travelled outside Canada recently, or had contact with someone who is sick and has travelled. We will support you to get any care you may need.
- If there is a household member who is sick or in self-isolation, we ask that you help us keep them away from VON employees during your visit.
- Practice social distancing.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Cover your cough and sneezes.
The safety of our clients and our people remains our top priority. Together we can meet this goal.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding as we work together during these challenging times. We invite you to reach out to your local VON office or visit us online at von.ca, if you have any questions.