Why Volunteer With VON
A Community Team
Volunteers are central to VON's Mission, working in partnership with VON staff to develop, implement and deliver services that meet community needs. We have a role for You!
VON Volunteers are:
- Warm and caring
- Dependable, patient and trustworthy
- Good communicators
- From all walks of life
- Willing to give back to their community through sharing their time and talents
I Volunteer Because...
Discover the Joy of being a VON Volunteer
Here is a sample of the exciting volunteer opportunities that may be available to you.
- Meals on Wheels - Deliver hot or frozen meals and checking on the well being of clients in the community.
- Diners Club/Wheels to Meals/Congregate Dining - Assist at a program offering a nutritious meal and social activity to clients
- Transportation - Drive clients to medical appointments, shopping or to participate in a social activity or program.
- Home Maintenance - Provide minor home repairs to clients who cannot complete or arrange for the work themselves.
- Volunteer Visiting - Visit an isolated senior, physically disabled adult, or person with Alzheimer Disease or other dementia on a regular basis.
- Security Checks/Reassurance - Provide a daily phone call to ensure the health and safety of a client.
- Volunteer Hospice Visiting - Provide support to clients receiving palliative care services. Specialized training provided.
- Parent/Infant Visiting Program - Provide hands-on assistance to families, overwhelmed by caring for newborns, who aren't getting support from family or friends
- Adult Day/Alzheimer Day Program - Assist VON staff in supervising and delivering program of activities to clients attending the program.
- Foot Care - greeting clients and assisting with administration functions of the program
- Public Relations/Marketing/Fundraising - Contribute to planning of promotional/fundraising events, participate at information fairs, fundraising events, etc
- Board of Directors/Advisory Boards - Provide leadership at the site and national level of VON
- Other rewarding volunteer opportunities.
How to Become a Volunteer with VON
- Contact the Manager or Coordinator of Volunteer Services at the VON site of your choice (See VON sites link below)
- Complete a confidential application form
- Attend an interview with the Manager or Coordinator of Volunteer Services and successfully complete our screening process
- Participate in training and orientation appropriate to your Volunteer position
When you become a VON Volunteer, we will:
- Match your strengths, interests and available time to a volunteer role that's right for you
- Give you a clear picture of the position requirements and the training to do it well
- Support you in your volunteer role through regular contact
- Provide ongoing educational opportunities to assist you in your role and to introduce you to new opportunities and friends
- Give you the care and appreciation you deserve